Job Title: Product Design Technologist
Salary: Salary details available on request
Working Hours: 8am to 5pm Monday to Thursday – 8am to 4pm
This is an excellent opportunity for a Product Technologist to join the Product Team, Graduate level through to experienced candidates will be considered.
Previous retail experience is not essential but a degree in a relevant discipline such as product design and/or electrical/electronic knowledge is preferred.
Our client designs and manufacturers homeware products for large retailers. This role will be working between the Product Design Team and the outsourced manufacturing factories in China, and provides a vital link in ensuring that products meet the design specification and required legislation.
Main Purpose of role:
- To ensure that the product is “Manufactured to Specification” and delivered “On Time in Full” throughout its life cycle
- Minimise risk and maximise profit by actively contributing to the product specification throughout the development cycle. Agree and act on learnings and feedback from the Product Analyst and other sources.
- Agree final product specification, using input and experience of Senior Technologist and Product Manager as required.
- Check and evaluate new product samples against product specifications, drawings and other agreed criteria.
- Feedback findings to factories and internal departments, recording details in the company database.
- Lead all customer specific pre-production activity for designated customers across both UK and China teams.
- Contribute to and manage the pre-production critical path to ensure initial OTIF delivery.
- Manage production of final product specifications and creation and verification of labels and instruction manuals.
- Apply knowledge and expertise to resolve product issues and problem solve to ensure timely delivery of all new products.
- Work independently on customer specific projects, communicating with customers to meet their specific requirements.
- Manage product specification changes through the company process to ensure OTIF delivery is maintained and issues avoided.
- Ensure all products adhere to standards and legislation.
- Identify and communicate the product risk and deliver technical aspects of product development within the brand team.
- Communicating on-going product developments with the different factories and internal departments, helping to deliver an efficient development programme.
- Develop comprehensive product specifications and issue to supplier.
- Co-ordinate with suppliers on component colour matches and samples control.
- Support the development of products ensuring safety and quality attributes are maintained.
- Supports product delivery including supplier and product approval and post implementation reviews.
- Works with Product Analysts to implement improvements in supplier performance and product quality.
- Creates technical records for products where required.
- Attend all project related meeting such as Weekly Updates/Pre-selection risk reviews.
- Degree or equivalent in product design/engineering/electronics or industry recognised electrical/ electronic qualification.
- Experience in a technical or packaging development role within product based background would be useful
- The role will require travel within the UK and potentially overseas.
- Good systems knowledge especially Excel & MS Office.
- Good Analytical & Numerical skills.
- Effective communicator & net worker.
- Excellent admin and organisational ability, also flexible and able to re-prioritise and escalate concerns when needed.
- Ability to plan and conduct short and medium working on several projects simultaneously and managing time and other resources effectively.
- Strong collaboration and stakeholder management skills.
- On Site Parking
- Friendly informal working environment
- 23 Days holiday per annum – after 5 years’ service holiday increases to 28 days per annum plus 8 bank holidays
- Company Pension Scheme after probation period, 2% and 2%, senior scheme for managers which increases with age (you have to manage 2 members of staff to get the managers scheme)
- Death in service benefit
- PerkBox – online discount scheme for cinema / restaurants shopping / mobile phone insurance / lots of things
- Our client also runs a salary sacrifice scheme for childcare vouchers
It is important that you include a covering letter with your CV, detailing why you feel you are suitable for this position and highlighting all relevant experience.
By applying for the role, you agree that Fresh Recruits may contact you under GDPR Article 6(1)(b) in connection with your application by email and/or telephone and you consent to receiving information by email and/or telephone in relation to Fresh Recruits providing you with work finding services, you may withdraw your consent at any time.
If you do not hear from us within 3 working days please assume your application has not been taken forward on this occasion. We may contact you in the future about other suitable positions.
Our Data Protection, Privacy Notice and Full Equal Opportunities policies can be viewed here: https://freshrecruits.co.uk/privacy-policy/